Thursday, August 14, 2008

Cheddar and Corn Muffins


I am always more savoury than sweet. But I think life needs a bit of sweetness, aye? My idea of a perfect meal is the one that's concluded with a little sweet, rich and decadent thing (which preferably contains more than 70% chocolate? hehe)...and...let me tell you about sous chef's love-hate relationship with desserts and sweets...

A Sweet Conversation?

Year 2006
SC: I hate sweets
Me: Really? You don't like it or are you trying to keep fit?
SC: I really hate it. See! I drink my coffee BLACK
Me: OK, I get it

Year 2007
*noticing SC's over enthusiasm towards Haagen Dasz ice cream, chocolates & desserts*
Me: I remember you said you hate sweets
SC: Oh, not really. It was just a cover up, I need to avoid sweets to keep fit (!!!!), and I have an image to upkeep in front of girls, you see?
Me: right....

Year 2008
*in a conversation about sweets*

SC: Yeah, as I told you before...I don't like sweets. See, I like my coffee BLACK
Me: I thought you said that was just a cover up? Hey! This is me! I know you very well, you don't need to cover
SC: *puzzled* What did I say? I really hate sweets, man. I just eat sweets because you bake
Me: *speechless*

Talk about denial!...or PR talk? or fickle minded? or amnesia? Hehehe...anyway...

I've seen so many muffins and cupcakes around the blogsphere, and I believe if others can do it, I can at least try to fail several times :p...as long as I didn't accidentally melt my chocolate by microwaving it in a metal mixing bowl and blow my kitchen up (touch wood -touch wood - touch wood - this reminds me to get bigger insurance coverage), I love taking up new challenges. Thus, I started to bake.

...and I baked and I baked and I baked. Sweet treats. First, it felt so amazing being able to produce something new. But the novelty wears off, and I craved savoury treats again....so I made...

Cheddar and Corn Muffins

They are perfect for breakfast, with a hot cup of coffee (I like mine with cream and sugar pleaseeee - no denial hehe)

Recipe
(yields 6)
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup small pieces of cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 175C, in a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt, make a well in the middle. In another bowl, mix egg, oil and milk, pour into flour mixture, mix, add corn kernels and pieces of cheddar cheese. Pour into greased/lined muffin tray, bake for about 20-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Now...I've seen impressive food presentations everywhere. But this one caught my eye. It is a display of Beijing's molecular gastronomy at Shangrila's Blu Lobster by Chef Brian (picture's borrowed from Eat & Travel Weekly magazine).
Would anyone care to brush their teeth with this egg white paste...or gargle with this mint wine?

For me, I don't like getting drunk before 09:00 AM (Denial? PR talk? Amnesia? All/none of the above? Hehe)

17 comments:

Jagungmanis said...

jagung karo keju? enak yo, Rit?

bumbu ngohyong kui opo yo? tekonen karo Yu Lidia wae. ngko kan dijelasno...
aku bingung je.. hihihi

tigerfish said...

I'm also a savory person more than sweet! So we can fight over all the savory food...:P

ICook4Fun said...

Rita, there is an award for you at my blog. Go and pick it up :)

Jin Hooi said...

Your muffins look great !! Hey, cutie, i notice you been doing a lot of baking lately, is that part of your exercise while watching the Olympic games ;-p haha, so we shall expect more and more baking from you then..

Laura Paterson said...

Totally with you on the savoury thing - and these muffins are just the ticket!

Yum....

A.G said...

lg wæ pgn baking blueberry muffin :d bar metik'i blueberry nek sebelah omah :P mumpung lg usum..

jagung di mufine emang enak kok aku yo tau gæ,tp tak ks corned beef

CECIL said...

I love savory foods over sweet. For breakfast, snacking, etc. And thank you so much for mentioning 'Nasi Tim' in my blog!! I was pondering about the correct phrase - just 'Nasi Ayam' doesn't sound right, so..Nasi Tim Ayam, there you go! Ckckck, shame on me.

Sharon said...

My husband is the same way. He claims not to like sweets but gobbles them up whenever their in the house. He blames me for his new sweet tooth.

Great looking muffins. I'm too much of a sweet tooth so something savory is good every once in awhile!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your muffins look good and "professionally" baked! And you said you were just starting???

Rita said...

These muffins look amazing!!!! I love them! Will make it for sure!!!!

daphne said...

it depends on my mood on whether i like sweet or savoury..but your corn and cheddar muffins-I will take one any day! I'm a corn fan!!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Oh, I love cheddar and corn muffin anytime!

Dragon said...

You always make me laugh, girl. :)

These muffins are absolutely perfect. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Nice muffins! I think the power of your bakes is the reason your SC is converting to a sweets person, hee

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Love-hate-love-hate -- hey, that sounds like me! I want to hate sweets but sometimes I can't help myself. Or is it because I can't help myself that I hate it? Time for a trip to a psychiatrist's couch? ;)

sefa firdaus said...

kebetulan pengen bikin muffin utk dibawa ke arisan, eh ada resep muffin enak... *hmmmm, contek gak yaaaaaa*

Elsye said...

loookkkk yummmyyy, perlu dicoba iki ritt...:D