Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Icy Cold Fizzy Coca Cola, Welcome to Hong Kong!


Some like it cold.
Some like it hot (in Hong Kong coffee shops, they really serve hot coke with ginger and lemon to combat cold and flu).
Some like it without ice (fear of losing "money" paying for a little coke and lots of ice).
Some doesn't mind if all the fizz has gone.

Not me.

I like my coke icy cold (there's gotta be ice) and super fizzy.

There's no other way.

Nothing's more upsetting for me than being served un-cold/lukewarm/fizz-less/un-iced coke (most of them aren't real words, but I trust that you get what I meant)....hmmm except being served KFC fried chickens without skin...that'd be equally upsetting.

Thus, although I am a huge coke fan, I hardly buy my coke from vending machines, except the ones that also dispenses ice, which can be found in some 7-11.

You guys can imagine how ecstatic I was when I heard the news...

...that now I can buy coke off vending machines...WITH ICE.

W...wwww...wot??? You're joking?!

Eits...you know I'd never joke about coke 'n ice combo. Seriously, I think I have never been more serious about something since my primary school history exam (I was about to fail it miserably)!


So, how does it work?
Feed the machine with some cash, or wave your magic octopus card, and select your icy fizz drinks as usual.
1. Grab the bottle (you can see that it's all liquid inside, no ice)
2. Open it
3. See ice forming in the bottle, right before your eyes

Such a wonderful sight...in scorching hot days like these...

...it felt like I was witnessing a modern day miracle.

Sous chef and I debated about what's the deal with this ice thing. Liquid nitrogen? Something in the bottle? Something in the machine? Something in the coke?

Meh. We concluded that we ain't no scientists....so we'll just...

...Gulp. Gulp. Gulp. Ahhhh....

Hail all icy cold fizzy coca cola lovers in Hong Kong! Get a bottle from some vending machines in locations listed on iCoke Hong Kong site and let's all rejoice!

Update: there's an explanation on how it works (wow!), check it out here

22 comments:

Lidia Sianturi said...

aku mau dikirimin mesinnya Rit...

Noob Cook said...

someone got to bring it here to Singapore!

Cakelaw said...

How cool (no pun intended!). I wonder if we'll get that here ...

YaYa said...

waahhhh! How do we get one of these machines to Sydney? I love LOTS of ice with coke zero - extra freezy cold - yep even in winter. I'm starting a campaign now!

Screamin' Mama said...

That's amazing!! I've never seen anything like that. I love my Coke too. I love how it burns my throat as I gulp it when I'm super thirsty.

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Whoa! How does that work? Did you eat the ice?

Little Corner of Mine said...

Wow, this is super cool! I haven't seen such a vending machine here too. Thanks for sharing. :)

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

Whoa, fancy!!!

Dori said...

Actually, my mom and daughter both will put their bottles of soda in the freezer until it starts to crystallize.

KennyT said...

Oh I can try it at Taikoo Shing Ice Palace, yay!

pam said...

That's amazing!

Why is not in the US?

Unknown said...

lid, lebokke freezer wae hehe

wiffy, i am sure it's gonna reach singapore soon

cakelaw & yaya, maybe it'll be in australia in summer?

screamin' mama, yeah! amazing indeed!

wc, yes i consumed the ice...it's from the coke itself, so won't dillute its goodness...and we're still wondering how it works...

locm, i am sure it'll get there soon ^_^

ts. ya haaa!!!!

meeso, great idea, but i'll have to set timer for that or i might leave the whole bottle frozen...how long should i stick it in the freezer for?

kenny, gogogo!

pam, it hit the UK first (early this year), and before I knew it, it's here...maybe it's already in the US now?

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

omg..thats darn cool!!

HoustonWok said...

I so wish we had something like that here in the states. A vending machine that serves ice along with it, are you kidding me? What a great concept.

daphne said...

hhhhhaha.. that is soo funny! What a cool machine to hv.

EatTravelEat said...

That is so amazing! Hong Kong likes icy cold stuff huh? Supericy lemon tea and now this :). I did not see this vending machine last year in HK though :(...probably very new?

pigpigscorner said...

This is so cool!

Anonymous said...

If that's in New York I'm certain someone's run off with it and tucked it in their apartment somewhere. That's pretty cool and I don't even drink soft drinks.

CurvyBabe said...

nice blog you have ere.is a definate try when i head over to HK this november. any recommendations for places to shop and dine? thanks..

CurvyBabe said...

is a cool blogsite you have ere...didn;t there such a cool drink around. a definate try when I go over to HK this november. any recommendations on places to eat n shop around HK?

Unknown said...

@curvybabe...plenty of food to try in hong kong. street food, any chinese restaurant for yumcha, any hotpot joint, sushi places, bbq pork places, wonton noodles...
check our my "eating everywhere" section for some examples, and feel free to email me for more info.

shopping? check out my other blog http://livinglavidarita.blogspot.com

Chrystal said...

Wah I'm going to try that.. Funny explanation video.. it's a good thing that I understand Cantonese.. LOL