Friday, January 29, 2010

Grilled Herbed Pork Neck


It's been ______________ since my last confession (can't be bothered trying to remember).
I've been hit by...

...no, not a disco stick.
I've been hit by a lazy stick.

I have not been cooking lately.
When I cooked, it's so simple I couldn't be bothered to take pictures.
When I took pictures, I couldn't be bothered to style it.
I have even been too lazy to try some new and exciting establishments.
This lazy stick, it's gigantic.

This ridiculously simple dish was not a product of my recent sloth.
This was one of the dishes I made when I still had the heart to think of what to cook, cascade the meat beautifully on a little place, took a photograph of it in more than just one "pose", and scattered the ingredients around it as a (desperate) form of "food styling".

Although it's not much, it'd be better than my recent serial local fast food/charchanteng spread.
Please, enjoy.


Ingredients
- 1/2 lb pork neck (rinse, pat dry, leave them whole)
- salt, black pepper, dry mixed herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano)
- additional lemon zest and a bit of lemon juice would be fantastic

Preheat oven to 250C, rub pork neck large pieces with salt, pepper, herbs and lemon zest generously, place them on baking sheet, grill until golden. Take them out of the oven, slice thinly and serve.

Pork neck is really a forgiving meat due to its high fat content, get them a bit charred to get tasty crispy bits. Never worry about overcooking them (but of course not up to the point where all you got is a couple chunks of charcoal). They'll remain juicy.


Serve 'em over salad with some vinaigrette, as appetizer, or as party food...but the way I see it, it tasted amazing with steamed rice :D

19 comments:

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

Oh, I bet MY lazy sick is way, waaayy bigger than yours! ;D

Peter M said...

Sweet Rita, this pork neck resulted in something succulent...great job on the grill!

KennyT said...

May I have some?

pigpigscorner said...

Looks like a great snack!

Anonymous said...

Hahah dw I probably have turned into a lazy stick :P This looks so very tasty and very simple mmm

EatTravelEat said...

Love pork neck :). Also good to use it for char siu as well. I like mine with rice too.

Tuty said...

I like lazy day recipes... and I know exactly how you feel about being hit by the lazy stick. Just take it easy & have fun :-)

BTW, pork neck? We only have pork neck bone here. Do you know the Indonesian term for it?

Jo said...

Looks delicious and so reminds me of char siew.

tigerfish said...

Hahhaa....we all have our lazy days...life is a balance, right? Don't have to be "hardworking" every day....hee heee

zenchef said...

I was gonna make a joke about lazy sticks but i had to censor myself. See how good i'am? :P

If you have lost your inspiration for cooking then i don't know what i'm gonna do. I come here when i need inspiration. Damnit! (he said while chewing on some delicious pork neck)

daphne said...

I wouldnt have thought of grilling pork neck but this looks really moist and tender!

Babe_KL said...

wishing you and your family a happy, healthy and prosperous Chinese new year!

Cynthia said...

Rita, this is not the first recipe I see talking about pork neck. When I go to my butcher, just ask for pork neck? and it is literally the neck of the pig?

Pei-Lin said...

No worries! I get conquered by lazy bones a lot, too! So, same here lah ... Still looks good to me your food!

Hope it ain't too late, here's to wish you a Happy Lunar New Year! Gong hey fatt choy!!

Liverella said...

I miss ur posts :(

Jescel said...

i have been lazy myself. i "disappeared" for almost a year from blogging... but I'm back.. i think :o) your pork neck looks yummy..

Jo said...

I've heard this particular cut of meat is really soft and great for grills. This recipe version looks really delicious.

Daniel said...

Luck time right now and pork neck sounds so rich and succulent right now. I drooling right wishing I could have a taste...

SIG said...

Hi Rita, I have some awards for you, do drop by and collect them. :)