Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Surprisingly Tasty - Garlic & Ginger Steamed Chicken Wings

Steamed Chicken Wings
When SC's mama shared this recipe, I wasn't convinced.
I'm not about subtle flavors. I love things grilled, fried, charred, dressed up in lots of bold flavored sauces.

Steamed? Plain? Subtle? Ngggg....sometimes...ok, but most of the time...thanks, but no thanks.
Especially when it's chicken, with skin.
Ew.
I like my chicken skin...if not crispy, at least golden brown. Pale chicken skin?
Ew. Ew. Ew.

Anyway, I gave this steamed chicken wings a try and I was shocked.
They were shockingly delightful!

Tender, juicy meat bursting with flavors, satiny smooth and flavorful skin...with a bonus of pinches of heat from the chopped chillies. Love! and so gonna do it again.

Recipe
- a plate of chicken wings
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced (haha! garlic breath!)
- 2 cm ginger, minced
- salt, pepper, sugar, Chinese rice wine, vegetable oil
- a couple of small chopped red chillies for garnish (optional)

Marinate chicken wings with minced garlic, ginger, Chinese rice wine, salt (generous amount), pepper, sugar, and a bit of vegetable oil, in the fridge for a couple of hours, or overnight. Before serving, steam chicken wings on high heat until the meat's done, this plate took 7 minutes.

Yes! Another potential candidate for my chicken wings party ^_^

9 comments:

daphne said...

simple and classic! I think the ginger would have given it a good hit of taste wouldnt it? ;)

Joanne said...

Lesson learned - don't judge a chicken by it's skin. Words to live by.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks delicious to me and healthier too by steaming. Perhaps I should steam something for dinner tonight. :)

Christine Wu said...

Whatever served with flecks of chopped chilies is good, yes? Hahaha yeah, i used to think steamed chicken would taste horribly bland, but I was wrong!

pigpigscorner said...

Simple and delicious! I love steamed chicken with dong guai and goji berries =)

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

I love all the flavors involved in this dish! Glad to get your take on the skin too - I would love to try these with a nice glass of Riesling - Cheers:)

lena said...

one of my favourites and i have to make sure i put really lots of ginger in it. Looks so delicious!

Kay @ Chopstix2Steaknives said...

This look ssurprisingly simple to make and delicious..can't wait to try it!

Noob Cook said...

one look at the photo and I'm sold. I'm so trying this recipe :D